What is the Network Topologies? Type of Topologies?
iv) Star Topology
i) LAN Topologies
- There are different types of network topologies that are used in a network. The network topologies in the structure or the layout of the different devices and computers connected to the network.
- The topologies commonly used in LAN are—Bus topology, Star topology, and Ring topology.
- The data signal is available to all computers connected to the bus .
- The data signal carries the address of the destination computer.
- Each computer on the network checks the destination address as the data signal travels through the bus.
- The computer whose address matches makes a copy of the signal and converts it into data
- The data signal on the bus does not get destroyed and still transmits along the bus, and is finally absorbed by the terminator attached to the end of the network.
- It is good for connecting 15–20 computers.
- A single coaxial cable is generally used in bus topology, to which the computers or devices are connected.
- Ethernet is a commonly used protocol in networks connected by bus topology.
- All devices in the network are connected in the form of a ring.
- Each device has a receiver and transmitter to receive the data signals and to send them to the next computer, respectively.
- Ring network does not have terminated ends, thus data signals travel in a circle.
- Ring topology (Figure 9.23) uses token passing method to provide access to the devices in the network.
- The computers or devices are connected to the ring using twisted pair cables, coaxial cables or optic fibers.
- The protocols used to implement ring topology are Token Ring and Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI).
- All devices are connected through a central link forming a star-like structure.
- The central link is a hub or switch. The computers are connected to the hub or switch using twisted pair cables, coaxial cables or optic fibers.
- Star topology (Figure 9.24) is the most popular topology to connect computer and devices in network.
- The data signal is transmitted from the source computer to the destination computer via the hub or switch.
- The common protocols used in star topology are Ethernet, Token Ring, and LocalTalk.
- In addition to the bus, ring, and star topologies, there are complex topologies like the tree
- topology, and the mesh topology used for networking in LAN. Table 9.1 lists the advantages and disadvantages of the different LAN network topologies.
Advantages and disadvantages of network topologies:
Advantages and disadvantages of network topologies, Advantages , and disadvantages of network topologies, What is the Network Topologies? Type of Topologies?, What is the Network Topologies?, Type of Topologies?, LAN Topologies, Bus Topology, Ring Topology, Star Topology